Introduction to classical thermodynamics through the second law; system and control volume analyses of thermodynamic processes; irreversibility and availability; relations for ideal gas mixtures. Prerequisite: MATH 241. 3 undergraduate hours.
2. Definitions, properties, equations of state, state postulate, compressibility charts
3. Work, heat transfer, first law of thermodynamics for a control mass (closed system)
4. First law of thermodynamics for a control volume (open system), steady state and unsteady analysis
5. Entropy, second law of thermodynamics, component efficiency, cycle efficiency (examples of power and refrigeration cycles)
6. Reversible work, availability, irreversibility
7. Properties and thermodynamics of ideal gas mixtures