Momentum and thermal transport in wall boundary-layer and free shear flows, solutions to the Navier-Stokes equations for heat conducting laminar and turbulent shear flows; similarity concepts; thermal boundary layers in ducts and high-speed aerodynamic boundary layers. Same as AE 412 and TAM 438.. Prerequisite: AE 311 or ME 310 or equivalent. Credit: 4 undergraduate hours. 4 graduate hours.
1. Conservation Principles - mass, momentum, and energy
2. Some limiting exact solutions
3. Thermal and Momentum shear layers
4. Heat Transfer: Laminar flow inside smooth tubes
5. Heat Transfer: Turbulent flow inside smooth tubes
6. Flows over bodies with curvature
ME: MechSE or technical elective.
EM: Possible secondary field, with approval.